OK, so I am completely obsessed with Settlers of Catan – or Catan as most people call it now. We play more often than we should… I suppose there are worst things to be addicted to in the world.
We have all of the expansions and extensions possible (except for the standalone Game of Thrones edition… which I am dying to bring home) and the best part of the game is your ability to create unique board game scenarios each time you play. No game is the same!
We have created so many variations throughout the years, but one of my absolute favorites is Greater Catan with Depletion.
- Base Catan
- Cities & Knights (optional)
- Set-up a normal Catan board in the middle to create a main island, including harbors
- Surround the main island with water hexes all around
- Add 19 additional hexes around the water, incorporating 2 deserts. Like all things Catan, be creative! There are no rules to where you can put them, so long as they are at least one water hex away from the main island!
- Only place numbers on the main island. Leave the outer islands without any numbers!
- Take out an additional 5 numbers and place them face-down next to the board
How to Play
The rules of Catan and any expansion you are playing with apply with the following exceptions:
- When a player’s ship reaches the intersection of an island hex , a number token is assigned to this hex!
- The first 5 island hexes get their numbers from the face down supply near the board.
- When the first 5 numbers have been used, the next player to reach an island hex without a number must take one from the main island!
Rules For Taking Numbers From The Main Island
- The number must be adjacent to a hex that you have a settlement or city on
- A city cannot be left with no numbers. For example, if you have a city touching 3 hexes, only 2 of those numbers can be taken
- On the outer islands, 6 and 8 must not be next to each other
- If it is impossible to comply with all of the rules, they can be broken in consecutive order from 1 to 3
We always play this with the cities & knights expansion because it adds and extra challenge to the game that we love, but all you really need is seafarers!
Let me know if yall play!